Dawn of Ultima

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of Ultima

This is not a hosted server, but an entire game system/package for your own server base on RunUO 2.2:

DOWNLOAD: Main Package

DOWNLOAD: Cumulative Patch

GETTING STARTED
    Run the self-extracting executable to your C:\ drive. Within this directory, you should have a folder for CLIENT, DATA, SAVES, and SCRIPTS.

Get the Cumulative Patch to get any updates since the main package was assembled. Run that self-extracting executable to your C:\ drive as well.

Again, these should go onto your C:\ drive or it will probably crash on you as some scripts rely on this location. If you have NOTEPAD++, you may be able to find the scripts that reference this location and change it.

DO NOT DELETE the SAVES folder. It is a world all setup. If you do not use this world as a base to begin, then all of the dungeon homes, and sky castles, will not be able to be purchased. Yes, you can buy dungeons and sky castles to live in.

Run the RUNUO.EXE file and let the world load. There are many regions so that will take a few moments.

Some routines run as server start, so be patient if you cannot log in immediately. When you can, log in with the admin account.

GM ACCOUNT: Wizard

GM PASSWORD: admin

Run the [buildworld command so everything gets rebuilt. You only need to do this for the initial startup and then for any updates I might release, and not every single time. Running it whenever you want does not hurt anything either, as it will just basically refresh the world.

You are all done. Login with a player account of your choice and the auto account creation will make an account for you.

AFTER LOGGING IN FOR THE FIRST TIME
    For GMs: Run the [helpadmin command while in game to learn more.

For Players: Run the [helpme command while in game to learn more.

All characters begin with the following items:
    100 Gold
    Dagger
    Torch
    Waterskin
    Bread
    Book (Guide to Adventure) – This book only talks about the client interface, so if you have played Ultima Online before, you will learn nothing new from it.

WARNING
    Do not play this game if your play style is that which belongs on current Ultima Online servers. This game will disappoint you. There are no champion spawns, or other types of scripted events where mass players are involved. This is a game of living in a virtual fantasy environment, where you explore the land and brave the dungeons to acquire skill and treasure. The dangers are more worrisome than simply death. You could have an item magically vanish from your hand suddenly because you triggered some old wizard’s trap. Your precious metal shield can be turned to rust if hit just right by a rust golem. Your highly prized magical cloak can be turned to stone if you suffer the gaze of a basilisk. There are no safety nets, no item insurance, and death will cost you either trained abilities or precious gold. If you find older style Dungeons & Dragons games unforgiving, then again…this isn’t for you.

Do not play this game if you are used to having Ultima Online servers hand you stuff. There are no skill balls to jack up your skills to 700. There isn’t a bank with a carpeted roof and 10 different moongates that take you to areas where you can beat on frozen earth elementals until you GM your sword skill. The only bragging rights in this game is the items you find, the wealth you amass, and the size of your castle. You will have to start from nothing and progress along whatever goals you set for yourself.

ABOUT THIS GAME
    The “Dawn of Ultima” is a multi-player adventure game that takes place shortly after the events of Ultima III: Exodus, and on an alternate timeline. It takes place in the land of Sosaria, where you create a character that tries to make their way through this enormous world. You will have to find a way to feed yourself, and acquire equipment to explore your way around. Everything you need to know can be learned within the virtual environment. Knowledge can be acquired by talking to the citizens of the land, or you may find a book or scroll with clues and other information. There are also some commands you can use to bring up additional information.

The game Is designed for characters to adventure alone. You can even craft items from your home, and have them purchased by the Merchants Guild if you choose to make your living that way. Your health, mana, and stamina are valued at double the associated attribute. So if you have a strength of 50, your health will be 100. You can also obtain the title of grandmaster in 10 different skills, which should allow you to create a character type of your choice (like a wizard, fighter, thief, assassin, etc).

This game is designed around older MUD methodologies and rules based on early 1970’s Dungeons & Dragons games. The spirit of this game is far removed from that of Ultima Online, and is simply a game of exploration and discovery. The world consists of 9 different lands, over 20 cities and villages, and over 100 dungeons to explore. Settlements sell their own goods and may change from time to time, but the merchants can be helpful in repairing or identifying items. Every skill in the game has a worthwhile purpose again, and some spells have been enhanced to either become useful again or work better within a single player environment. Death brings with it penalties upon resurrection, either in the form of negative character effects or the parting of gold as tribute to the gods that bring your life back.

Dungeons are filled with many hideous monsters, but they contain much treasure. They can be filled with many hidden traps with varying effects. Some may harm you with fire, lightning, or poison. Others may curse one of your items or simply make it vanish. You could trip over a well-placed wire, breaking your potion bottles or arrows. You could even be hit with a magical force that turns all of your coins into lead. Traps can perhaps be avoided by those skilled in such things, have magic that protects them from such, or even have luck on their side altogether. Some even carry a ten-foot pole to set off traps safely.

Like the games of yesteryear, this will have you slaying rabbits and deer as you work your combat skills to brave further into the wilderness. The further you can explore, and the more dangerous the area, the better the rewards. This is about finding treasure of a monetary and magical nature to aid you in your chosen quests. It is also about resource management, as you need a supply of food and drink if you plan to be gone for long periods of time. You will also be faced with dilemmas on how you will carry all of your found riches from the dungeons. Treasure is just not found in gold coins. You may find copper and silver coins, which can pile up in weight for sure. You may find exotic furs, rare kegs of ale, unusual carpets, strange books, or finely crafted statues…all of which can either decorate a home or be given to people in town in exchange for gold.

There are random quests in place that will have you travelling far and wide. Along with that, there is also a large quest inspired by the old computer role-playing game “The Bard’s Tale”. Ultima lore has been incorporated into the game, but morphed to fit within this environment. You can take on quests to defeat the Shadow Lords and create a gem of immortality. You can also defeat the Banes and bring the serpents of chaos and order back into balance. There are also many characters from Ultima that may give you quests, in which the rewards will be custom artifacts.

PVP is turned on for the game. This was to add danger as your friend may cast fire field to stop some monsters and you accidently walk into it as well. If you want to kill each other’s characters, then go ahead. Along with this, there are areas called “public areas”. These are small areas that have no PVP and they are centralized to the world. So, as an example, you cannot run up to a bank building and say “bank” anymore. You have to go into the bank and do your business. When you do, you will go to the same bank that every other player character goes into (no matter the town they are in). So if you play this in a multi-playing environment, you may see your friends from time to time. When you leave the bank, you will be back in the town you entered from. The other public areas are the Wizards Guild, the Thieves Guild, the Necromancers Guild, the Inn, the Tavern, and a couple of others. Because the world is so huge, these areas simply provide a way to run into other players.

Some dungeons have difficulty levels, and you will be notified on how difficult a dungeon is. So a skeletal knight in an easy dungeon is harder if you went to a lethal dungeon. Treasure is scaled dependent on the dungeon difficulty. The dungeons in Sosaria are normal difficulty, as this is the main world your character begins. Some monsters do not scale in this fashion, so the rule of thumb is that really hard creatures retain their difficulty no matter what. These are monsters like balrons or wyrms for example. If they did scale, they would become virtually impossible to beat. With that, some monsters may require a group of friends to defeat, but that is few and far between. You may be able to win, but I guess it would be dependent on what magical items you found.

There are too many other different elements to continue listing here. If you like Ultima and want to play a game where you simply exist in a fantasy world, then go ahead and give this a try. There are a ton of things to do so you just need to pick a path and go.

SERVER ADMINS
    If you plan to change anything on this server, other than the server connection information, I will guarantee you will break something. Be it the server itself, or a feature down the line, something will happen. Do any such thing at your own risk, as this server is tightly connected to various elements and has been tweaked for 6 years to get the balance it has. The client included has been heavily customized so don’t use anything else. If you want a multi-player Ultima adventure game, with no labor required for populating and building a world from scratch, then this may fit your needs.

There is a folder, C:\Data\Info, where some information is collected and/or added to for use within the game. The “Articles” folder contains up to 10 entries you can post (read 0.txt first), where these entries can be as long as you need them to be and people can read them on bulletin boards.

The “News.txt” file allows you to add messages of the day.

The “Rules.txt” file has my current server rules in there, so feel free to edit it. These rules appear on the bulletin board in the game world.

There are also log files kept here. These are added to by the system as certain events occur. When a character dies, completes a quest, or kills a creature…they are added in one of these files. These then allow tavern patrons, or town criers, the ability to speak about the most recent deeds in the land.

There is a task manager system that runs tasks every hour, every 3 hours, or once a day. Some of these tasks also run at server start, so when the server comes up, don’t be alarmed if you cannot log into it instantly. It is just running a few routines. These things are in place to make a self-sufficient server that should require zero GM intervention. There is a help system in place for stuck characters, in case that ever occurs. There is also a mechanism to save the server when a character logs out. This is mostly for those that play this in a single player environment.

There is a “uo_server_protect.ps1” file included in this package. A couple of years ago, the server would freeze up once in a while…for no reason I could figure out. Running this powershell command on a scheduled basis (every 5-10 minutes perhaps) would see if the server was actually running and restart it if it wasn’t. You don’t need to use it anymore, as I have not had the problem for the last couple of years, but I kept it in case I needed it again one day.

FINAL NOTES
    This server has one more area I need to complete, the Underworld. This is currently available to explore, but the dungeons contained within are not started yet so the entrances to those are blocked. I have two plans for these areas. First, I will incorporate lore from Ultima VIII: Pagan. So there will be a quest to become a titan of ether which will increase the stat and skill cap for the character that is able to complete it. The other is the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom. I want to make a quest that allows for someone to get the vortex lenses and pull the book from the void. What the book does, has yet to be decided for this game. For now, you can perhaps visit the Underworld and fight strange monsters or get strange materials to craft with. When completed, it will add about 7 more dungeons to the game.

A mistake my players made was approaching this like an Ultima Online game. They felt that information was hidden from them when in fact it was freely available in the world. So treat this like a game and not an MMORPG. Talk to NPCs and read the books or scrolls you find. Some information may be useless to you, but you may learn something about the world that becomes your next quest.
    Last edited by Djeryv; 09-06-2018, 07:45 AM.

Thank you for sharing this, I cant wait to dig in and play around! Was this all your work? Is this the first time this has been released? Was this ever released as an online shard to the public?
    RunUO - Ultima Online Emulator - www.runuo.net

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Thank you for sharing this, I cant wait to dig in and play around! Was this all your work? Is this the first time this has been released? Was this ever released as an online shard to the public?
      I made it myself beginning in 2012. If was just a server for my personal friends and we played on it for years. One moved to a house with zero internet so I gave him a copy to play by himself. I just decided to give it to others since I don't really care what they do with it. We still enjoy playing on it and probably will later on tonight since I am at his house for a wedding tomorrow.

Comment

After a few beers this weekend, my friends told me of some flaws they ran into. Because of this, I will keep an accumulated patch updated whenever I fix something as I send them the patch anyway but then you don't need to download the entire thing all over again. The patch included in the main post fixes a few things:

Gargoyle dungeon entrance fixed (client issue)
        Gnoll body value conflict fixed on equipped item
        Moongate in Ambrosia works again
        Tinker jewelry crafting modified and expanded

So nothing major with this small patch, but I just wanted to make sure you all have the latest stuff we are playing.

Whenever you apply a patch, you should log in with your admin account and do another [buildworld command just to refresh the world.

Comment

Update Released:

Moonstones fixed to work in Ambrosia and Kuldar
          The quest to escape Kuldar has been fixed and tested
          Various cosmetic fixes to the world maps
          Tinker jewelry crafting modified and expanded again
          The artifact "Pandora's Box" has been fixed as Razor was opening it on map changes and thus losing charges
          "Potions of Rebirth" have added descriptions so players know how to use them better
          Harpy songs have had their effect time reduced as it was way too long

Comment

Update today, so make sure to read the readme and changelog as the readme wants you to move a folder and file around to help with future patches. The main package has been updated with all of the changes thus far.

Fixed flax to have only one item id for better collecting
            Increased the amount of saved backups to 6
            Fixed a flaw in the Magic Trap spell triggering when traps are placed on the floor
            Fixed a particular issue of logging a character's actions when pets were involved
            Fixed the ranger map to add the newer dungeon locations
            Fixed spawners for special monsters
            Added bananas, coconuts, and dates to the types of fruit you can get from trees
            Pirate Isle is changed to a tropical island

Comment

There is another update patch released today that fixes/adds/tweaks a few things.

More cosmetic map fixes, especially for the Serpent Island
              Fixed Meteor Swarm spell because it wasn't working
              Changed Meteor Swarm to drop meteors instead of shooting fireballs
              Fixed a couple of typos in speech and books
              Changed header in the construction contract gump
              Removed bogus entry in the custom artifact book
              Made constructed small forges animated with light
              Added new trap type that melts jewelry

Comment

I had to release this update sooner rather than later, because the house sign thing annoyed the hell out of me...

Venom sacks are now stackable
                Add trash barrels to the wizards guild
                Replaced wooden thrones with better graphics
                Removed text about Trinsic, Vesper, and Magincia style chairs, since there is no such places during Ultima III
                Fixed a glitch with ocean creatures leaping too far onto shore
                Add necromancer signs to house sign options
                Fixed house signs facing proper direction when doors face the "east" instead of the normal "south"
                Add a black magic guild near the city of Lodoria

If you haven't noticed already, there is a bunch of canned houses added to the menu of standard houses. This is mainly because I wanted more options and often lack the patience to build my own customized house. Players still have either options of a canned or customized house, but some of the new canned houses have doors facing the east where the housing system has doors facing the south. So although the houses would place fine, whenever you change the sign (after making it public) the sign would face the wrong way for these particular houses. So I had to put in a bit of code to make them face the right way when you change signs. This is a long story but they are fixed with this update.

Comment

There was another update today, and the total package is up to date with this as well.

Skill caps should be ignored with magic item skill bonuses
                  Auto looting for gems now encompasses both gems and jewels
                  Some cosmetic land fixes to the Savaged Empire for better house building
                  Fixed a flaw in peacemaking that would cause a crash
                  Fixed animals tamers to sell land-specific animals

Comment

There is another update patch released today that fixes/adds/tweaks a few things.

Magic scissors now work on certain leather clothing (cloaks, shoes, robes, etc.)
                    Fixed an item ID glitch with runebooks so they all have the new appearance now
                    Runebooks now are partial hue so the gold trim shows when dyed
                    Added a [corpseclear command so players can delete their own corpses off ship decks
                    Eating magic fish now satisfies hunger
                    You can now use the tillerman driving tool as a ghost
                    Sea creatures now surface near a ship and not on it
                    Cosmetic map/item tweaks and improvements

Comment

UPDATE:

Boats now are partial hue so they look much better when you dye their color
                      Added some new, unusual items to be discovered
                      More cosmetic map fixes
                      Changed seaweed item appearance to something smaller
                      Removed potion keg dye tubs since the potions in them override the color, making the dye tubs useless
                      NOTE: This update will warn you that this item will be deleted when you start your server
                      Fixed sapphire elemental's color and name
                      Bandages now default to white/no color, instead of the color cloth they may be cut from
                      Added more merchants to the Village of Whisper

Comment

UPDATE:

Fixed some magic talisman appearance ids set incorrectly
                        Fixed buy/sell gold discrepancies
                        Added alchemy tubs to clean bottles and jars
                        Fires of Hell has been tweaked to be more hellish
                        Fixed a bug when trying to steal dungeon containers
                        Altered lockpicking to be practiced from zero without training
                        Players now have a choice whether they want classic poisoning or the newer infectious weapons (see [helpme command)

Comment

UPDATE:

Changed crystalline jars to crystalline flasks, giving them a unique appearance from other jars
                          Changed the appearances of messages in a bottle so they don't look like ale bottles
                          Changed the design of the Mines of Morinia, giving it a distinct environment from other dungeons
                          Stealing now only requires your hands be free of weapons, but it does not apply to pugilist gloves
                          Standardized some food items (code) so (a very few) will be deleted upon server reboot to apply the changes
                          Waterskins now have 10 uses when filled, but dirty waterskins still have a single use until filled with fresh water
                          NOTE: Any currently filled waterskins will need to be refilled

Comment

Working...
                          X